Aug 21, 2008

doug's web distractions

After a long week and too many evenings of work - tonight, I ventured to the web for pure amusement. I made most of my usual stops to familiar blogs, flickr, and one of my old favorites ted.com. Several of the highlights are listed below. I was thinking that "doug's web distractions" might be a nifty weekly blog post. Then again, maybe not. Enjoy.

Days with my father
I stumbled on this site from one of my flickr contacts, slight cutter. I've seen a lot of photo essays, but I don't think I've ever seen or will ever see one that is better. It's from photographer Phillip Toledano, and it's a beautiful story of humanity, compassion and love. I laughed. I cried.

Johnny Lee: Creating tech marvels out of a $40 Wii remote
I found this creative guy on ted.com. He invents cool gizmos on the cheap.

Anand Agarawala: Bump Top desktop is a beautiful mess
Another ted.com presentation. He's funny and his crazy desktop software rocks.

N.
If you like writer Stephen King (I do), and you like cool 2D animation (I do), you'll love this original video series site (I do).

Chase Jarvis
I have to include at least one photo site. This guy has a super-nifty website, and he can really shoot. I think he really loves seeing and hearing himself on camera - but he's an interesting guy. Check out his blog for some cool video tutorials and posts.

2 comments:

Chase Jarvis said...

Thanks for the including my site in your blog, Doug.

I love what you've got going on in your pictures. Our photographic styles are miles apart, but I'm digging the very clean and crisp thing you've got happening. Gorgeous.

amanda warren said...

That "days with my father" series is amazing... thanks for sharing.