Apr 25, 2008

oh crap!

I had a little scare with an external hard drive failure yesterday. Check that, it was a big freakin' scare. My LaCie 160GB drive wouldn't power up. Oh crap! I made a call to my buddy Jeff at Gizmo and called the LaCie folks. They both thought it was a power issue. The LaCie guy told me to take out the drive and try it in a different enclosure.


Hey, that worked. I got the most important files off the drive. Then the drive disappeared from my desktop. Oh crap X2! So, I borrowed Data Rescue from another buddy Trent. It took a good part of the day - but I got all of the files off the damaged drive. Cool.

I'm embarrassed to say a good number of these files only existed on that drive. I know, I'm a dumb ass. A small number of these files were important photographs. I'm a double dumb ass. Now every file I have has a redundant back-up, and I have two more external hard drives arriving soon.

The moral of this bad-turned-good-story: don't be a back-up dumb ass.

BTW - have a terrific Arbor Day!

5 comments:

Bruce L. Snell said...

Whew! Glad you were able to recover everything. I've been in your shoes before and it's not a fun time that's for sure.

You should go over to Free State and celebrate.

-Bruce

Anonymous said...

I got queasy just reading your post! I do my best to duplicate all of my drives but ... it doesn't always happen as regularly as it should. I'll take this as a wake-up call, especially since all my externals are LaCie's as well.

Did someone say we were going to Free State?

-M

Doug said...

I didn't make it to Freestate to celebrate. So, I think we should a photodudes beer meet there very soon. Who's in?

- doug

Bruce L. Snell said...

Always in... just say the word.

Anonymous said...

In.